Wednesday, May 02, 2018

Soon There Will Be No Such Birds In The Sky

Slowly but surely, the mighty 747 is aging out of the commercial aviation passenger fleet:
Australia's biggest airline is getting ready to bid farewell to its fleet of Boeing 747 passenger jets sooner than previously planned.

Qantas (QABSY) said Wednesday that it's bringing forward the retirement of its six remaining 747 jumbos to 2020. It will replace them with a new order of Boeing (BA) 787 Dreamliners.
I hope to fly on a Dreamliner this summer.

1 comment:

Mike Thiac said...

Darren,

Right after we met at Fort Carson, I was sent TDY to Washington DC. I stayed at Andrews AFB and went for a run. I was going along the air fields, I took a right, looked to over and there they were. Two brand new 747s with the presidential seal on them. The new birds that were approved towards the end of Reagan, but they were delieved to Bush.

I was reading an article on these two birds and they are coming to the end of their life, so the Air Force is looking for a replacement. The problem everything after the 747 only had 2 engines, and the AF wants 4. But it looks like the AF will get two custom 747s.