Saturday, December 23, 2017

Another Math App

First there was Wolfram Alpha, now there's this app:
Based on the promo clip, PhotoMath, dubbed a “smart camera calculator,” appears to use smartphone cameras to scan a photo of a math equation in a textbook and display the answer instantly — similar to apps that scan barcodes and takes users to a link in a web browser. It looks like the app can also show step-by-step instructions for solving the problem.

Update: it solved a 3x3 system of equations in less than 2 seconds. That's faster than I can do it :-)  I clicked on "Steps" and learned that it solved the system using Cramer's Rule.  It also solved trigonometric equations.

2 comments:

Dale said...

It’s a pretty good app. I’ve been using it since 2014.

I’m amazed that it’s available for free.

Mike Thiac said...

Darren, you know I've got my intellectual limitations. The Army put me into intelligence for a reason. :<) But in my second misguided college yute, this would have been a Godsend.

In my first misguided college yute, I just passed college algebra and trig. In my second, I was making A's and B's in calc and other higher level math. Found if I practiced the equations, I learned how to do them. Who would have thunk it!

But giving people more questions to practice, they can actually get more practice and learn the subject.

What a concept! :<)