Wednesday, August 16, 2017

My Fiefdom Is Gone

(read this song with The Pretenders' "My City Was Gone" playing in the back of your mind)

I started teaching statistics in 2010, I think.  Prior to that time we'd always had 2 sections of stats; starting with the year I taught it, we've always had 3 sections.  And sections are always filled to the brim.  The course has always been open only to seniors, but because of some initiatives being pursued by our district, we decided we might open it up to certain juniors this year.

But still so many seniors signed up that we couldn't fit in any juniors.

Just yesterday our vice principal decided to open a 4th section of stats (there's all sorts of this that goes on the 1st month of school each year--don't get me started why!).  Teaching 4 of the same course would be sort of boring for me, and to minimize the movement of kids to new teachers he gave that section to a teacher who has previously taught statistics but is new to our school this year.  This class starts tomorrow--we don't have a teacher's edition of the text book for him, or even any books for his students!

Fortunately the first few days of stats is all about definitions of terms, and he'll only be 3 days of instruction behind me, and with a few waves of the magic want he'll be caught up to me by a week from this Friday--our Chapter 1 test.

For 7 years I've been the stats guy, but not anymore.  Now I have to share that title.

My fiefdom is gone.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Every master needs an apprentice. I'm sure sharing the glory won't take away from your positive impact. I think it's great so many kids are signing up for more math out of their free will

Darren said...

He's certainly no apprentice, having taught AP Statistics at a previous school.

I don't think "free will" has anything to do with it. I think "minimum 3 years of math, 4 years recommended" in just about every university admission catalog--that's the driving force!

Ellen K said...

We bought new APAH text books based on the deadline for changing schedules. We bought 45 to the tune of $6500 or so. Guess what, some clueless counselor added ten students without asking. They have 40 page to read the first week. Fun times.

CyberChalky said...

Always two there are; A master and an apprentice. No more, no less.

Anonymous said...

As one of your former students and a Stats Survivor, I can tell you we all signed up for stats because it set us apart. It wasn't your everyday calculus, it wasn't brainless, and it scared a lot of others. I have a minor in statistics now and I am a research team lead for my university. And yes, when I tell people I like stats or work with stats out of my own free will-- it still absolutely terrifies them. Power is still in the numbers, and the alumni will always know who the fiefdom is ruled by.

Darren said...

I have no idea who you are, but I'm glad I was able to teach you something of value to you--hopefully without too many beat-ings!