Thursday, June 22, 2017

Free Speech, Especially On Campuses

If you had asked me 25 years ago where I thought our rights were "headed", I'd have said that the First Amendment would get stronger and the Second Amendment would get weaker.  Here we are 25 years later and I'd have been wrong on both accounts.  As I don't mind that the Second Amendment has more force today than then, I'll just emphasize the First Amendment.

Not only are the idea of "hate speech", and Antifa-type crowds, eroding the First Amendment right before our very eyes, but universities--which I'd have thought would be the First's bastion--have been its weakest link.  This chart of free expression should be covered in green but it's not, and notice especially the horrific ratings of the University of California campuses.

Back in the 1960s, university students fought against in loco parentis.  I guess we've come full circle, as Pink Floyd explains:
Hush now baby, baby don't you cry.
Mama's gonna check out all your girlfriends for you.
Mama won't let anyone dirty get through.
Mama's gonna wait up until you get in.
Mama will always find out where you've been.
Mama's gonna keep baby healthy and clean.
Ooh baby, ooh baby, ooh baby,
You'll always be baby to me.
That's today's universities, right there.

Update, 6/23/17:  As if on cue:
Evergreen State College Student: 'F*** Free Speech'

No comments: