Thursday, May 07, 2015

The Essence of the Modern Left

I've heard the Common Core described this way, too:  we can't accelerate students (in math) too much because we have to provide a good education for everyone, not just the top students, and Common Core (of course, properly implemented) will provide that good education.  I'm not one who believes it's smart to make everyone "equal" by bringing down the best and brightest, but this author is:
In an interview with ABC Radio last week, philosopher and professor Adam Swift said that since “bedtime stories activities . . . do indeed foster and produce . . . [desired] familial relationship goods,” he wouldn’t want to ban them, but that parents who “engage in bedtime-stories activities” should definitely at least feel kinda bad about it sometimes: “I don’t think parents reading their children bedtime stories should constantly have in their minds the way that they are unfairly disadvantaging other people’s children, but I think they should have that thought occasionally,” he said.
What a complete turn-around from reality--it's not the parents who don't read to their kids who do those kids harm, it's other parents who actually do good for their own kids who...oh, hell, I can't even present such a stupid argument without throwing up a little bit in my mouth.

I'd like to believe this was from The Onion, but it's from National Review.  *sigh*

5 comments:

Ellen K said...

The Left will not be happy until all children are turned into feral wards of the State. Hillary said "it takes a village to raise a child." If that's the case, our village has done a terrible job.

maxutils said...

Well first, I couldn't open the link … I'm going to search for it, because I know how to dothat because my parents read to me and made me do my homework … bu, for those unlucky ones who saw their first book in first grad, peraps you could correct the link, please?

So, yeah … parents who read to their kids are going to have kids who become better educated. Which is presicely why every government educational entity, the teachers' unions, and every teacher I know recommend it. Can't affor to buy books? There are these things we call 'libraries' and they will actually let you borrow them for free, and you can take your kid their once every week or two and let them pick out their own books.

But, even with some people refusing to do that (and here's my personal plea: if you can't spend 5-10 minutes a night reading your child a story, well, there these things we call 'condoms', and…) even if 'disadvantagin' were a real word, which it isn't indicating the author was likely not read to as a child … your desire to do one of the most fundamental aspects of your parental role in no way are you … god, i hate this… 'disadvataging' [sic] others. In fact, the people who don't are 'advataging'[sic] our kids by being lazy, illeterate parasitesI don't see this as being a wealth or race issue at all -- books are available to all, as is public education...

maxutils said...

And another thing: when exactly, did reading to your kid become "bedtime-stories actives"? That's at thevery least, redundant.

maxutils said...

I believe I found a link to full interview that works … http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/philosopherszone/new-family-values/6437058

PeggyU said...

Ok, I confess ... sometimes my kid reads me a bedtime story. Rather, he finds an article he wants to share and we don't have time to discuss it until the end of the day ... and sometimes when he's reading it to me, I am tired and I fall asleep!