Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Performance Excellence/Setting The Example

A captain--not a cadet, but a captain--sets a new record on West Point's Indoor Obstacle Course Test.

Gawd, I remember that test.  The only part I feared was "walking across the bars", shown at :25.  When running:  1st lap is with a medicine ball, 2nd with a baton, last lap and a half carrying nothing.

We had a term for someone like this back in my day:  stud.

No, I don't remember at all what my best time was.  Honestly.

2 comments:

Mike43 said...

At Ranger School, they used the same term. For all of us. I certainly didn't feel that athletic, as I huffed and puffed my way through the course. So I asked one of the RI's and he said it was short for students.

But I never knew whether they were being straight with us or not.

(Remember the trucks are just over the next hill??)

Steve USMA '85 said...

My best was around a 2:30. Good for an A-. My favorite part was your least favorite, "running across the bars" (Note our different phrasing of the same event). My least favorite was the horizontal bars, shown just before the rope climb.

The IOCT was my personal best PT event. It was the only one I ever scored above a B consistently. Hated the APFT.