Friday, August 27, 2010

Chris Christie Fires NJ Education Commissioner

I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't like Chris Christie, but to conservatives he's a godsend. Take this example--would any Democrat do this?

Gov. Chris Christie fired state education commissioner Bret Schundler this morning after Schundler refused to resign in the wake of the controversy over the state's loss of up to $400 million in federal school funding.

"I was extremely disappointed to learn that the videotape of the Race to the Top presentation was not consistent with the information provided to me," Christie said in a press release. "As a result, I ordered an end to Bret Schundler’s service as New Jersey’s Education Commissioner and as a member of my administration"...

“As I have said before, I never promised the people of New Jersey that this would be a mistake-free administration," Christie said. "However, I did promise that the people serving in my administration would be held accountable for their actions.”

Christie asked Schundler to walk him through the details of the mistake before the governor came out to defend him earlier this week, according to a source.

But after Christie and other top officials on Thursday watched the video of Schundler and other officials' presentation to the U.S. Department of Education, and the video contradicted Schundler's explanation, the governor said, "He can't lie to me," the source said...

Schundler said today he asked to be fired rather than resign because he said he needed the unemployment benefits.

So far, I'm really liking Christie.

3 comments:

KauaiMark said...

Sounds like a leader.

maxutils said...

And, at some point we should concern ourselves with the fact that the Federal government has no business providing ANY education dollars, and that performing tricks for them to give it to us is demeaning.

Darren said...

You get no argument from me, max, on either point.