Thursday, May 27, 2010

Sleep

I've always believed in getting a good night's sleep, and I applaud this author for saying what needs to be said on the subject:

A few things need to be said before we go any further. First, sleep deprivation isn't a badge of honor. It's a very American/Protestant Work Ethic attitude to act like being so busy and stretched thin that you must go without sleep just to get it all done is something to be proud of. If you're going to insist that abusing your body with sleep deprivation is something to be proud of and a necessary part of being a working adult, then you're not in the right frame of mind to really take this advice to heart. Going with little sleep is sometimes an unfortunate necessity, but it shouldn't be adopted as a way of life and a point of pride. (You certainly wouldn't brag to your friends how awesome you are malnourishing yourself.)

5 comments:

Erica said...

Having been a chronic insomniac since adolescence, I absolutely abhor people bragging about giving up perfectly wonderful sleep when I have to fight for the dregs and tatters of it.

PeggyU said...

I really just want longer days; 24 hours doesn't cut it. Who is in charge of that?

Ellen K said...

I wish I could just get a good night's sleep and wake up feeling rested. As it is, I feel tired when I finally get to sleep and tired when I wake up. It takes me until half way through summer to relax and by then, there isn't enough time to really recover.

Mike Thiac said...

One of my best friend's has sleep apnea and has to use one of those CPAP devices...we were in a hotel and Jim looked like he had the creature from Alien on him but it was the only way he could get a good night's sleep.

W.R. Chandler said...

I would love to know when the medical profession is finally going to stop making interns stay up for 36-hour shifts. Or have they?

How would you like a doctor to work on you when that doctor has been awake for more than a day?