Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Graduating, and Moving Back With The Parents

The job market is pretty tough:

They feel like failures. Disillusioned, like a runner who trips out of the starting gate.

But many college graduates who've been forced by the worst job market in decades to move back home with Mom and Dad say they also feel, to their surprise, fortunate.

"I've learned to be so grateful," said Genevieve Isola, a University of California graduate who's living in her childhood bedroom in San Ramon and working in a clothing boutique, just as she did in high school.
Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/10/19/MNS71A5LUL.DTL#ixzz0UWaXmJN8


The article goes on for awhile, introducing us to many such people. Did none of them consider serving their country in the armed forces?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, it's kind of funny, but I joined the Army in 1985 right after the economy tanked in the early '80s and served 21 years and now I'm about to graduate from college and I'm moving into one of the worse job markets since that time. Now I know I have other alternatives than many job applicants. But I have no desire to work in government, intelligence, or the military. I'm getting my degree in education. And by God, that's where I want to work! But perhaps I should have used my head and majored in math or science instead of history.

Joanne Jacobs said...

The ones who enlisted aren't available to be interviewed. The armed services are enlisting more "quality" recruits who don't need waivers for educational deficiencies or arrests.

Darren said...

I hope that's the case. I'm not surprised that a San Francisco paper wouldn't mention that, though.

Ellen K said...

Darren, I've mentioned this before, but my sons both looked into the military. But they also looked at the Rules of Engagement for Afghanistan. One son, recruited heavily by the Marines, is six foot four and was looking at sniper training. He would have been the first one off the boat or plane. As he put it "put a target on my head and you get the same effect." My other son heard the same stories from friends on their second trip to Afghanistan. Since that will be the flashpoint, that is where the bulk of new recruits will end up. While I value military service, I don't want my sons to be cannon fodder. Until this administration provides enough troops and supplies and lets the military do their job without artificial political restraints, I would not recommend that anyone who can find a job elsewhere apply to the military. I am not anti-military, but this administration is not creating a situation where we can win with honor. Instead they are placating their base by dithering.