Monday, August 03, 2009

Rent-A-Cops

I attended 8-12th grades in the Grant school district, which a couple years ago merged with some elementary districts to become the Twin Rivers district. Back in my day we had an officer or two on our campuses, and many years later when I taught in Grant, I learned that the district had its own legal police force. A humorous moment occurred when I ran into an officer on campus, and immediately recognized him as my high school track coach and the officer on my own high school campus over 15 years before. He could still probably outrun most people!

In this article we learn that some surrounding districts contract with the city police or county sheriff to have officers on campuses, and the amounts charged are egregious. Twin Rivers is in negotiations to lease their officers to these other districts:

Twin Rivers' contract is "half the money for twice the service."


I hope it works out well for all concerned.

No comments: