Sunday, August 02, 2009

No Job? Sue Your College.

This story is pathetic on so many levels that I am amazed that anyone can be this stupid:

The Monroe College grad wants the $70,000 she spent on tuition because she hasn't found gainful employment since earning her bachelor's degree in April, according to a suit filed in Bronx Supreme Court on July 24.

The 27-year-old alleges the business-oriented Bronx school hasn't lived up to its end of the bargain, and has not done enough to find her a job.

The information-technology student blames Monroe's Office of Career Advancement for not providing her with the leads and career advice it promised.

"They have not tried hard enough to help me," the frustrated Bronx resident wrote about the school in her lawsuit.

If I were a lawyer I'd be happy to take her money. Pro bono? No way!!!

Hat tip to Joanne Jacobs.

3 comments:

DADvocate said...

This comment applies equally to this post and the previous post. When I was going through a divorce 12 years ago, I realized that although I have a M.S. I needed further education to get the kind of income I wanted and to support my kids at the level I wanted. I began taking computer classes at a small state university 50 miles away. I went full-time and worked full-time plus spent lots of time with my kids.

During this time I set and made a goal of sending out a minimum of 3 resumes a week. I averaged twice that number. After a year of this (over 300 resumes sent out), I got the job I have now which doubled my income and it's doubled again since.

I was determined to succeed despite many telling me I was trying to do too much. "Success is the best revenge." was one of my guiding lights. I met my goals and am now working on higher ones. Determination ("grit") makes a major difference.

Getting a degree is only a small step in establishing a successful career. Determination or grit count for more. This young woman doesn't have it and any employer would be a fool to hire her now that's she's shown herself more willing to litigate than work.

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking that if I'm a hiring manager, a resume with "Trina Thompson" on the top and "Monroe College" as a school she attended now goes straight into the 'no, thanks' pile. I just wouldn't see any point in dealing with a potential attitude problem, especially when I have 100 other resumes to consider.

I wonder if she thought about this before she filed the suit?

-Mark Roulo

Ellen K said...

This is the liberal mindset. They believe that going through the motions, no matter how shallow their actions, guarantees employment. I would love to see this in court because it demonstrates how ridiculous our nation has become and how far removed liberals are from the real world.