Sunday, March 29, 2009

I Pledge Allegiance (pause) To Diversity....

Discriminations is where you want to go to read about happenings like this:

Last month I discussed the Student Bar Association at the University of Virginia encouraging students to sign a pledge of allegiance to “diversity.”

Now comes news, from the Chronicle of Higher Education today, of a new set of guidelines at Virginia Tech that, critics say, “appear to require faculty members to show a commitment to diversity as part of their bids for tenure and promotion.”

I'd rather show a commitment to integrity and academic excellence, but that's just me.

1 comment:

Forest said...

There is a teacher at my school, so I am told by my students who has them pledge allegiance to the earth right after they pledge allegiance to the United States of America.

I have had discussions with my own family of whether I would want my own child to participate.

I hear her pledge emphasizes that we should be good stewards, something that even a conservative like me can agree with, but I think it is pretty bold thing to submit your classes to.