Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Another Superteacher

Last month I introduced you to Mrs. Barton, my 3rd grade Superteacher. This month I have another for you.

I don't have all the stories about Mr. Popp (pronounced Pope) that I did about Mrs. Barton. I have nothing but the fondest of memories about Mr. Popp, who was a former math teacher by the time he ended up being my high school counselor, but obviously I didn't spend as much time with a counselor as I did with an elementary teacher. Suffice it to say, though, that Mr. Popp was a great counselor--always there for us, about anything--and it was a treat many years later when he was working at an alternative high school and I applied for a position there. I opted not to take the job, but what an honor it would have been to work along side him.

Shortly after I first started teaching, I met Mr. Popp and my former high school principal for breakfast one morning. Both were former math teachers, and offered me teaching suggestions that I still follow as gospel today. Did they have an impact on me? You bet--and through me, on the couple thousand students who've come into my classroom in the 10-1/2 years I've been teaching.

After all these years we still exchange Christmas cards. The family letter was enclosed, and here's what Mrs. Popp said about Mr. Popp in it:

He "continues to tutor math to high school students two days a week. This is his 51st year of teaching in the Grant School District!"

I don't need to add anything to that.

Mr. Popp, I raise my mug of hot chocolate to you and offer a loud Salud!

Oh, and thank you.

No comments: