Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Heckler's Veto

Erin O'Connor, thankfully posting again at Critical Mass, has the story of a heckler who disrupted a speech by Hillary Clinton--and the English professor who supports what's known as a "heckler's veto".

Erin hits the nail on the head:

In other words, as far as Keach is concerned, it's fine to shut down a speaker through heckling, just as long as the speaker's politics are wrong and the heckler's are right.


Lefties will probably agree--but then again, lefties aren't known much for their support of free speech, anyway.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I'll blog about this tomorrow, though you may be surprised at what I have to say about it. But not today. I'm pretty sick, have been for several days, and I'm not up to it.

Darren said...

I hope you're not for disrupting planned talks.

Anonymous said...

"I hope you're not for disrupting planned talks."

No.