Sunday, August 14, 2005

Back From Vacation

Amazing trip to Canada--love going to British Columbia, even if I've never made it very far past the US border. Was sorry to hear Peter Jennings died, was glad to hear the space shuttle landed OK, and that's about it for the news I heard. Is the world still here?

A couple of interesting tidbits from the trip home. I stayed with a friend and his family on the western side of Portland last night and left there about 11am this morning. Setting all new land speed records down I-5, including a 1-hr nap near Lake Shasta, I made it home at around 8:25 pm. It's mapped at 12 hrs of driving :-) Also, kudos to my little Kia-mobile and the little squirrels up in the engine compartment that keep it moving. It has a 1.5 liter engine and a 12-gallon fuel tank. I filled up in Shelton, WA (on the Olympic Peninsula), and again in Roseburg, OR. I pulled into my driveway on vapors, but I got here. Washington State to my front door on two tanks of gas. Not bad!

I'll try to post a couple of pictures when I get time (have to finish moving now, and then go back to work this week) and hopefully the video footage of the seagull that paralleled the ferryboat for miles....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you're back ,ad safe as well.

Good luck in the coming year; I am sure you'll have your hands full...

Take care,

Stu

EdWonk said...

Welcome back! Did you make it to Victoria? Also, there is an interesting American enclave called Pt. Roberts just south of the city of Vancourver. It sits on a peninsula completely surrounded by Canadian territory and water. A post office, stores, a school, and homes.

Darren said...

Spent two days in Victoria--I actually prefer it to Vancouver.

A couple times I've been tempted to go to Point Roberts but in each instance my time was limited. Just to show that I really *did* know about this before you mentioned it, I refer you to this post :)
http://rightontheleftcoast.blogspot.com/2005/07/war.html

Phyllis S said...

Glad you made it back & happy you had a good time. It's nice to get away and realize you don't have to be glued to the news every minute.